In order to create new habits, we need to create new neural pathways. “Neuroplasticity, also called brain plasticity, is the process in which our brain’s neural synapses and pathways are altered as an effect of environmental, behavioural, and neural changes.” It is very much like creating a new path across grass.
David Krueger in his book Outsmart your Brain outlines 9 ways that we can help create new neural pathways by using reverse wisdom.
- Burn your bridges. Make it impossible to go back.
- Do the opposite of what you’d normally do when you are afraid, worried, anxious or uncomfortable.
- Obstacles reveal desires. Proceed despite the obstacle.
- Discomfort can be a sign of progress.
- Lean into the unknown.
- You do not attract what you want; you create what you focus on. Focus on what you do want rather than what you don’t want.
- You only see what you believe. When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
- Believe in someone and then he or she will show you why you do. Authentic belief in someone creates a state of mind that transcend usual thinking.
- Don’t believe every thought you have. You’re not stuck with the brain you have – you can make it better.
Rewiring your brain is possible. You need to believe it is, consistent in your effort and not give in at the first hurdle.